To End AIDS, We Must Also End Poverty, Says President Goodluck Jonathan

Jennifer Ehidiamen

Today in Africa, women in power have considered it important to synergize and address issues affecting women and girls in Africa, said Professor Viola Onwuliri, during her opening remark. Professor Onwuliri is Nigeria's minister of foreign affairs and soon to be president of GlobalPower Women Network Africa GPWNA.

Here is a reminder of why this matters. 



There are about 23.5 million people living with HIV in sub-saharan Africa. Less than 30% of young women have a clear understanding of what HIV is all about. Of 287,000 maternal deaths, 162,000 occurred in African region in 2010. We have 1 female condom for every 10 women in Africa. African women constitute 58% of all people living with HIV. And the list goes on and on. 

From the statistics above, albeit somewhat startling, one can deduce the urgent need to accelerate the implementation of the global and regional commitments for women and girls, gender equality and HIV/AIDS in Africa; and the adoption of post-2015 priorities in the region.

What does it really mean to accelerate actions needed to improve women and girls' health and well being in Africa? Of what relevance is it to our society? I'll be speaking with some leaders/key players at the on-going GlobalPower Women Network Africa HLM to get their views.

But first, here is a summary of how the opening ceremony went today. 

Like I captured in an earlier post, the 2nd GPWNA HLM kicked off today in Abuja. The event had in attendance President Goodluck Jonathan, Africa's leading female presidents of Malawi and Liberia, Joyce Banda and Ellen Johnson Sirleaf; GPWNA executives, including the president of the network, Hon. Thokozani Khupe, the deputy prime minister of Zimbabwe; representatives of UN agencies including the Executive Director of UNAIDS, Michel Sidibe; representatives from the AU, ECOWAS, Ministers and other representatives from all sectors of the African region. Trust me, the room was loaded with leaders from Ethiopia to Zambia to other countries.



The purpose of the gathering was to deliberate and identify best strategies in tackling the issues affecting women and girls, gender equality and HIV/AIDS and other reproductive health and rights issues. In addition, mobilize support and commitment from government leaders and other stakeholders to actualise the implementation of the global and regional commitment as well as the adoption of post 2015 priorities and recommendations for an accelerated action on treaties/declarations.

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf during her speech noted the remarkable improvement on the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). 

"HIV is no longer a death sentence," the President of Liberia said. 


But she pointed out that there is still a lot of work to be done. She advocates for a global focus on ending violence against women. She also raised the need for women and girls to be given a voice in the society through economic participation.

Sirleaf says achieving MDG 2 will prevent all other forms of violence against women and girls. When women have access to basic education, they are able to venture out to be economically independent and with that comes the will power to protect themselves and their family members from all forms of oppression and suppression.

To achieve this, we need the full commitment of women leaders everywhere.

"It is up to us women everywhere to become the advocates, promoters and facilitators to ensure these goals are implemented…the time is now…!" said Sirleaf.

While giving her opening statement, the outgoing president of GPWNA, Thokozani Khube, the Deputy Prime Minister of Zimbabwe, said that the objective of GPWNA is to advance innovative game changing approaches that positively impact the lives of women and girls.


She said that women do not have the full enjoyment of their freedom. She points out the importance of womanhood to our society through the acronym WOMAN - Workers, Organizers, Managers, Advisers, Nation-builders.

Women ministers should ensure women interests are promoted and protected. She openly recommended that President Goodluck Jonathan ensure GPWNA is included in the agenda of African Union.

Africans are often look outside for solutions to local challenges. To effect the kind of changes we want, we need to quit looking out. We want to ensure our voices are heard. Humanitarians won't develop our continent. Empowering women will, the deputy Prime Minister noted.

But the GPWNA is not all talk. "Transform your signature into action," Khube says to the leaders and stakeholders.

We want to see action.
Women are leaders in their own right.

Michel Sidibe, the UNAIDS Executive Director described the HLM as a timely meeting. He also said Africa is making progress. According to him, almost Eight million people have access to treatment in Africa. There is reduction in AIDS related death and a record of decline in new infection.

Sidibe punctuates the good records with a startling comment: "But we are failing women in our continent."



For this reason, Sidibe suggests GPWNA go beyond just being a platform to becoming a movement in other to reverse the negative trend of the impact of HIV/AIDS.

Young girls between 18-24 do not have access to information on how they can protect themselves. They need education and economic empowerment.

Gender inequality, exclusion are not just numbers or statistics, Sidibe noted. Every woman and girl must get the opportunity that ensures their lives are protected and are able to grow and contribute to development.

To end AIDS we need to end gender inequality.

Ngozi Okonjo Iweala inaugurated GPWNA in Zimbabwe for the first time when it was launched.

She reaffirmed the need to keep promoting gender equality and women empowerment and rights.


Of the 34million living with HIV in the world, about 69% live in Africa. Women comprise 50% of those infected with HIV. Young women 15-24years represent those most susceptible to HIV infection.

"For women to succeed, we have to leverage men. Be we have to properly select those who we leverage so they don't deleverage us (when they get there)," Okonjo-Iweala said.

Nigeria's Finance Minister ends her remark quoting Nelson Mandela, South Africa's first black President:
"It is important that government structures understand that true freedom and prosperity cannot be achieved unless …we see in visible and practical terms that the condition of women in our country has radically changed for the better, and that they have been empowered in all spheres of life as equal."

In Malawi, over half of the population are tested and know their HIV status, the President of Malawi, Joyce Bada, revealed today during her goodwill message.

Africa needs to pay greater attention to girl education and promote activities that will economically empower women. Income generation is critical for women, she said.

She gave her submissions, as follows:


Africa also needs to open space for women to get into leadership position. Political will is important in addressing issues that affect women and girls. It depends on who is on the seat of power. The more women, the more chances of promoting women interest.

Traditional and cultural beliefs that are harmful should be eradicated. To achieve this, there is need to engage traditional leaders in all efforts at the grassroots.

There is need to invigorate women movement in Africa. Women should stand united and speak with one voice. And most importantly, keep government leaders accountable.

It is also important to promote inclusive action and engage different groups of women. And of course, male involvement cannot be pushed aside. There is need for women and men to work together.


Goodluck Ebele Jonathan in his address said creativity, hardwork etc is not the exclusive right of any sex. He urged nations, communities, individuals etc to encourage the education of the girl-child.

"Remove structural barriers militating against the women," he said.

In Africa, to fight AIDS, we must also fight poverty, President Goodluck said. Education is the most powerful tool to fight poverty.

President Goodluck was during the event described as one the most gender-friendly president. (Or was he the most?). He was awarded by the GPWNA for his continuous support in promoting women empowerment and participation in leadership position.

The business of all talk and no action will not accelerate the implementation of any strategy.

In the words of the President of Malawi, Joyce Banda, HIV and AIDS still wear the face of women and girls. To eradicate this challenge,  all we need is to take more action. I agree.


Photo Speak:
Olayide Akanni, Executive Director of Journalists Against AIDS (JAAIDS) Nigeria

Youth Delegates at GPWNA
HLM Presidents and Executives 
First Lady, Ethiopia

Mrs Virginia Etiaba, first female governor in Nigeria (Gov of Anambra state 2006-2007)

Claris Ojwong, Chairperson, Pan Africa Positive Women's Coalition Kenya, and Noreen Huni, Executive Director REPSSI South Africa (R-L)

Jennifer Ehidiamen is a New Media Fellow for International Reporting Project 

8 comments:

  1. Custom article producing services are unrestrained on the internet nowadays. When My partner and i turn around, global there exists a brand new web page selling documents for you to unsuspicious students around the world. They then are illegal and performing his or her clients an important disservice.electronic press kit

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank God for the wonderful healing spell power which Dr SALAMI render to
    my life which oracle support, i was been diagnosed with HIV-AIDS over
    7years now which has lead me to unemployment and loosing my relationship
    with my fiance after he heard that i am suffering from the VIRUS, i tried
    begging him to allow me stays with him, but he still insist on letting me
    out of his home, until a friend of mine on Facebook from SOUTH AFRICA told
    me more about Dr SALAMI the great healer, that he is going to help restore
    and healed my diseased with his powerful healing spell, she send me of Dr
    SALAMI email address and i quickly contacted him, and he replied to after
    30mins of my message that my disease is a little and minor disease, that he
    will solved the disease immediately only if i can accept all he requested
    from, i told him yes, because truly i know that " HIV-AIDS IS A WICKED AND
    DEADLY DISEASE I EVER KNOWS ". so i did all he want from me and
    surprisingly on Friday last week Dr Camala called me that my problems is
    solved that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly
    really did, i confirm from my doctor that i am now NEGATIVE AND NOT LONG +,
    I jump up and was crying heavily because truly the disease drive alot of
    things away from my life, my friends, my cousin, my fiance and relatives,
    but now since i was confirm NEGATIVE- my lost friends and fiance has been
    back to me begging for forgiveness, i have forgiven them and now we are now
    best of friend. again i will say to Dr SALAMI that he is blessed and may
    the almighty God which i serve raise him and his family to the higher level
    in life. Thank and god bless. Please email Dr SALAMI for healing and
    solution now at sale drokoje@gmail.com or
    +2348069652500.. or you contact his phone numbe
    DR.OKOJESPELLHOME@OUTLOOK.COM .
    ,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to say hello to the world at large, I am very grateful for the good
    deeds DR.OKOJE did for me, I was a HIV patient, everything went bad for me,
    I couldn’t do things with my friends anymore, I loosed my job, I loosed
    everything, I was even waiting for death itself, I went searching on the
    internet I saw many testimonies on how different spell casters helped
    people in curing their deadly diseases, I collected one spell caster’s
    email, which DR.OKOJE I emailed him and he answered me, I told him all
    problems, he ask me not to worry, that I will be free from the deadly
    disease, which I did, he casted the spell, and told me that he will send a
    holy water to me through courier services, I was surprised, because he did
    not mention it to me before, I paid for the courier delivery service, I got
    a holy water, he asked me to drink it which I did and he asked me to go for
    a medical check-up in a hospital, I went to the hospital I went for a HIV
    test, I was tested HIV negative, I was shocked, I asked myself, “is there
    still good helpers out there”? I promised to share my testimony to the
    whole world, I’m now free, I have a better job, if you are passing through
    pains you need help you can share your problems to DR.OKOJE through
    DROKOJE@GMAIL.COM OR DR.OKOJESPELLHOME@OUTLOOK.COM +2348069652500

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am so happy to be here to share my great testimony to the world about how
    i was free from the bondage of hiv disease, i was diagnosed in the year
    2010 since then i was feel uncomfortable because there was no way out for
    me to be cured, i have pass many ways many hospitals and many churches in
    this earth, but there was no one to help me out until one day a friend of
    my told me that she saw many testimonies on internet when she was browsing,
    she told me how many peoples were giving testimonies about Dr.olufalaye
    that he has helped a lot of people in this earth, so i quickly told her
    that she should give me the site which she did and when i searched it on
    net i saw many testimonies about him myself so i contacted him, he give me
    some guild lines and also sent me some medications which i will be taking
    he told me that if i take the medications for two days i will get my cure,
    so after the two days i went to the hospital to test myself unbelievable
    the test was negative, i quickly called him and thanked him and also that’s
    why am here to also say more good news about him. so you also can contact
    him at
    dr.okosee@gmaill.com or +2348069652500...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am here to give testimony of how i got back my husband, we got married
    for more than 9 years and have gotten two kids. thing were going well with
    us and we are always happy. until one day my husband started to behave in a
    way i could not understand, i was very confused by the way he treat me and
    the kids. later that month he did not come home again and he called me that
    he want a divorce, i asked him what have i done wrong to deserve this from
    him, all he was saying is that he want a divorce that he hate me and do not
    want to see me again in his life, i was mad and also frustrated do not know
    what to do,i was sick for more than 2 weeks because of the divorce. i love
    him so much he was everything to me without him my life is incomplete. i
    told my sister and she told me to contact a spell caster, i never believe
    in all this spell casting of a thing. i just want to try if something will
    come out of it. i contacted traditional spell temple for the return of my
    husband to me, they told me that my husband have been taken by another
    woman, that she cast a spell on him that is why he hate me and also want us
    to divorce. then they told me that they have to cast a spell on him that
    will make him return to me and the kids, they casted the spell and after 1
    week my husband called me and he told me that i should forgive him, he
    started to apologize on phone and said that he still love me that he did
    not know what happen to him that he left me. it was the spell that he
    traditional spell temple casted on him that make him comeback to me
    today,me and my family are now happy again today. thank you traditional
    spell temple for what you have done for me i would have been nothing today
    if not for your great spell. i want you my friends who are passing through
    all this kind of love problem of getting back their husband, wife , or ex
    boyfriend and girlfriend to contact :drokoje@gmail.com or +2348069652500..
    and you will see that your problem will be solved
    without any delay. DR.OKOJESPELLHOME@OUTLOOK.COM

    ReplyDelete

  6. am from California U.k , i was diagnosed with HIV in 2012 , and since then
    my life have never remained the same . I even infected my husband with the
    disease , until i meant a testimony from a woman called Tricia and what she
    said about a man called doctor okoje . I contacted him and told him about
    my problem , and then he told me that i will need to do some things which i
    did , and after that he told me to give him some time to prepare the
    medicine for me . And then after he finished every thing , he told me that
    i will take the medication for 3 weeks which i did and 4 day ago i went for
    a test and surprisingly i am now HIV negative, he is also preparing another
    medicine for my husband, if you are in this kind of problem or you need
    help in any other disease cure , contact doctor okoje via his email -
    dr.okojespellhome@outlook.com or drokoje@gmail.com or
    call +2348069652500

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI My Name is jennifer, I wish to share my.
    testimonies with the.
    general public about what this man called Dr LAWCY.
    of drlawcyspellhome@gmail.com has just done for me , this man has just did what I thought nobody will ever do for me, I was HIV positive when one of my family friend introduce this man to me, I never believed that great DR LAWCY could do this, when I contacted him on this same issue on ground, he casted some spell for me and gave me some parcel to drink, now I am so happy to say that the virus I was having In my body have left me.
    All thanks to DR LAWCY. If you are out there passing through this same kind of.
    problems you can.
    contact him today on his mail drlawcyspellhome@gmail.com.
    and he will also help.
    you as well with his great spell caster, THANKS BE TO DR LAWCY....

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI My Name is jennifer, I wish to share my.
    testimonies with the.
    general public about what this man called Dr LAWCY.
    of drlawcyspellhome@gmail.com has just done for me , this man has just did what I thought nobody will ever do for me, I was HIV positive when one of my family friend introduce this man to me, I never believed that great DR LAWCY could do this, when I contacted him on this same issue on ground, he casted some spell for me and gave me some parcel to drink, now I am so happy to say that the virus I was having In my body have left me.
    All thanks to DR LAWCY. If you are out there passing through this same kind of.
    problems you can.
    contact him today on his mail drlawcyspellhome@gmail.com.
    and he will also help.
    you as well with his great spell caster, THANKS BE TO DR LAWCY....

    ReplyDelete