Untreated multidrug resistant tuberculosis increasing in Nigeria - The Global Fund

The Global Fund has raised alarm over the increasing incidence of untreated multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) in Nigeria. 

According to the key partner in Nigeria's National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Programme (NTBLCP), the survival of about 250 patients with untreated cases of MDR-TB is being threatened by Nigerian government's delays in releasing funds for procurement of the 2nd line drugs specifically required for treating MDR-TB, under the NTBLCP initiative.

The Global Fund said the funding deficit coupled with the nation's slow payment process for the 2nd line drugs,are allegedly causing a build up of new patients waiting for the urgently required life-saving drugs and threatening the nation's overall tuberculosis control effort

Already, fears are making the rounds of an imminent and total collapse of efficacy of the common first-line TB drugs such as Isoniazid and Rifampicin.

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), Nigeria is ranked 4th out of 22 countries with 75 per cent of the global burden of TB. About 36 per cent of TB cases are detected with over 60 per cent untreated in the country and the escalating cases of MDR-TB cases currently constitutes a major source of worry.

Raising concerns over the nations' growing MDR-TB Drug crisis the Head, Grant Management Division, Global Fund, Mark Eldon-Edinton, urged Federal government to live up to its commitment and expedite action on the release of funds for treatment of the disorder.

In a letter to the Minister of Health, Prof Onyebuchi Chukwu, who is Chairman, Country Coordinating Mechanism, CCM, Eldon-Edington strongly urged government to adopt an automatic procurement and payment method for 2nd line drugs in order to prevent future occurrence of the crisis.

"I'm writing to express great concern about the ongoing MDR-TB drug crisis in Nigeria due to delays in the release of funds for the procure ment of 2nd line drugs by government," he noted.

Eldon-Edington said the Global Fund financing is based on the principle of additionality and has been programmed taking into account the government's own commitment. has invested.

He said a total of US$147 million signed in TB grants of which US$103 million has been disbursed to fund diagnosatic capacity and scale up of first and second line treatment and care. Under the funding model, an additional US$117 million has been allocated for TB control in Nigeria.

"For the period January 2013 -mid 2015, the NTBLCP budgeted 2nd line drugs for 1,200 patients with 500 cures to be procured by the Ministry of Health and 700 funded by the Global Fund. By end of 2013, a total of 552 patients had been culmulatively enrolled for 2nd line treatment primarily financed byu the Global fund, while the goivernment funding for the 2nd line treatment drugs is pending and the number of new patients waiting for treatyment rapidly increasing; now reaching 250 of untreated drug resistant cases.

"Honourable Minister, I seek your urgent action to expedite the release of funds and the payment process for the 2nd line drugs as per the government's commitment. With the number of untreated patients increasing by day, out joint TB control efforts are undermined and we are paving way to an even more dangerous and more costly Extensive Drug Resiostant, XDR-TB, crisis in Nigeria.

"While the Global Fund has been requested to fund the roll out of new GeneXpert technology in this country, which provides opportunity for setting up a routine Drug Resistant TB surveillance system, the provisdion of treatment and care will nmeed to be stepped up in parallel. We would much appreciate hearing from you how this is reflected in the 2014 government budget," Eldon-Edington remarked.

1 comments:

  1. I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or what'sapp him on +2347081986098.. God Bless you Sir.

    ReplyDelete