Viiv announces new collaborations to improve access to HIV medicine

ViiV Healthcare this week announced new collaborations with the goal of increasing access to its HIV medicine, dolutegravir (marketed under the name Tivicay®), just two months after its approval by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and eight months after approval by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). 


In a statement made available to HealthNewsNG.com it said through an agreement with the Medicines Patent Pool (MPP), ViiV Healthcare will accelerate access to dolutegravir where the need is the greatest, in the countries where 99% of children and 93.4% of adults with HIV in the developing world live. 

“Our new collaborations prioritise dolutegravir access for millions of children and adults with HIV, and represent another step in our ongoing commitment to improving access and delivering innovation in the areas of highest unmet need,” said Dr Dominique Limet, Chief Executive Officer, ViiV Healthcare.  

“We recognise that important new agents have the potential to make a real difference in resource poor settings.  In fact, the World Health Organization has recently cited dolutegravir as a development priority for future anti-retroviral treatments for children–it is currently approved for children 12 years and older. Therefore, accelerating access to medicines like dolutegravir is of the utmost importance.”


Licence to the Medicines Patent Pool 

In adults: The collaboration with MPP includes two distinct approaches to improve access for adults living with HIV in the developing world:  first, a royalty-free voluntary licence in all least-developed, all low-income and all sub-Saharan African countries; second, for specific middle-income countries including India, ViiV Healthcare has established the first-ever MPP licence with a tiered royalty structure, where a small percentage of the sale price is paid based on the gross domestic product (GDP) of the specific country. The licences will also allow for the possible development, manufacture and supply of dolutegravir-based fixed-dose combinations, including those with abacavir, if and when approved by local regulatory agencies.

Supporting children living with HIV: ViiV Healthcare will grant MPP a voluntary licence for generic manufacturers to develop paediatric formulations of dolutegravir without paying a royalty in 121 countries where most (99%) children with HIV live. Dolutegravir is currently approved for patients 12 years and older.  However, this licence also includes a commitment for future lower dose tablets and age-appropriate formulations developed by ViiV Healthcare to meet the needs of younger children with HIV, if and when approved by a major regulatory authority.   

Today’s announcement complements an earlier voluntary licence for dolutegravir signed in 2013 with Aurobindo Pharma for adults and children for our standard voluntary licence territories. 

Our Approach to Improving Access: ViiV Healthcare is committed to improving access to medicines for people living with HIV through a variety of approaches, based on the differing needs of people living with HIV in different parts of the world.

•          Royalty-free voluntary licences in those countries with the lowest incomes and/or hardest hit by the global epidemic: In 2010 ViiV Healthcare extended its royalty-free voluntary licensing policy, which includes the company’s existing portfolio in all least-developed, all low-income and all sub-Saharan countries; home to 25 million people living with HIV (i.e., 75% of people living with HIV worldwide). These licences facilitate the manufacture and sale of low-cost versions of the company’s medicines in those countries most affected by HIV and least able to pay for treatment and care. 

•          Flexible pricing and local partnerships with generics manufacturers in middle-income countries (i.e., emerging and newly industrialised economies): In countries where incomes are higher and infrastructure is more developed, the flexible pricing policy factors in the GDP and the impact of the epidemic in each country to improve affordability. Local partnerships are approached on a case-by-case basis, taking into account the local needs and situation. One key approach is creating partnerships with in-country pharmaceutical companies to manufacture medicines locally in order to bring costs down, while simultaneously investing resources and expertise to build skills in the local economy. 

Our Commitment to Children Living with HIV: Approximately 3.3 million children are living with HIV worldwide, but 66% of those needing treatment do not have access to appropriate care and medicines. Among several barriers preventing further scale up of the numbers of children on treatment is the lack of low-cost medicines that are palatable and acceptable for use by children. 

ViiV Healthcare is committed to improving scientific understanding and treatment options for infants and children living with HIV. This includes a broad range of initiatives supported through our Paediatric Innovation Seed Fund, which aims to improve paediatric HIV research, care and treatment in resource-limited settings. Additionally, the Positive Action for Children Fund supports 150 organisations across 30 countries to deliver programmes designed to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV.

4 comments:

  1. Thank to dr. cuba for his good work I really believe HIV have cure I was HIV positive over since 1year plus before I come across a comment dr.cuba that he have cure to any disease and virus but when I saw it i have it in mind that he can’t cure HIV I just decided to give a try I contact him that night lucky to me he said yes but I don’t believe him I think it was a scam or some thing like that but I still hold on to see the work of dr.cuba if he is saying the true he ask for different things and some question about me I give him all the detail he needed and I wait to see his reply to my problem after all the things is done he ask me to go for check up I went for hiv test I cant believe I was negative the midical doctor was surprasie and doctor even ask for dr cuba email which i give to him, he he is help people that contact him also he can still help you on your cure thanks dr.cuba for helping me for the cure at this young age if you need help contact him now drcubatemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having trouble with increasing your sell!
    Learn how we can increase your sales, develop your brand, and generate interest in your site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I USED TO HAVE HIV. AND I WORK Fashion Designer in USA......I LOOKED
    FOR CURE ALMOST ROUND THE
    WORLD,NOT UNTIL I CONTACTED A GREAT SPIRITUALIST AND HERBALIST, I
    NARRATED MY PREDICAMENT TO HIM,I WAS
    SHOCKED HE SAID''NO CAUSE FOR ALARM'''I SEND HIM MY PHOTO,,,,HE SAID
    HE WILL NEED TO BUY
    SOME ITEMS,AND I PAID FOR IT...AFTER THREE DAYS HE TOLD ME TO GO FOR
    TEST AGAIN,......
    MY FRIENDS, YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT WAS NEGATIVE....NOW I'M SOUND AND
    HEALTHY STILL WORKING AS A Fashion Designer .
    I BELIEVE HE CAN CURE ANY TYPE OF SICKNESS
    HIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS: realhomeofspell@outlook.com

    SINCERELY,
    STACY WRIGHT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truthfully, i was tested HIV + positive last 3years. I keep on managing the drugs i usually purchase from the health care agency to keep me healthy and strenghtful, i tried all i can too make this disease leave me alone, but unfortunately, it keep on eating up my life, this is what i caused myself, for allowing my fiance have sex with me insecurely without protection, although i never knew he is HIV positive. So last few 4days i came in contact with a lively article on the internet on how this Powerful Herb Healer get her well and healed. So as a patient i knew this will took my life one day, and i need to live with other friends and relatives too. So i copied out the Dr Koboko Yya the traditional healer?s email id: dr.koboko@gmail.com and I mailed him immediately, in a little while he mail me back that i was welcome to his temple home were by all what i seek for are granted. I was please at that time. And i continue with him, he took some few details from me and told me that he shall get back to me as soon as he is through with my work. I was very happy as heard that from him. So Yesterday, as i was just coming from my friends house, Dr koboko Yya called me to go for checkup in the hospital and see his marvelous work that it is now HIV negative, i was very glad to hear that from him, so i quickly rush down to the nearest hospital to found out, only to hear from my hospital doctor called Browning Lewis that i am now HIV NEGATIVE. I jump up at him with the test note, he ask me how does it happen and i recede to him all i went through with Dr Koboko Yya I am now glad, so i am a gentle type of person that need to share this testimonies to everyone who seek for healing, because once you get calm and quiet, so the disease get to finish your life off. So i will advice you contact him today for your healing at the above details: Email ID: dr.koboko@gmail.com CONTACT HIM NOW TO SAVE YOUR LIFE: dr.koboko@gmail.com AS HE IS SO POWERFUL AND HELPFUL TO ALL THAT HAVE THIS SICKNESS? www.http://drkobokospellcaster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete