Through PMTCT, we can protect future generations from HIV, says expert


As part of HealthNewsNG's special focus on HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health issues, Jennifer Ehidiamen spoke to Nurse Egga, an expert in Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) and Prevention of Mother-To-Child Transmission of HIV (PMTCT) who works in a general hospital in Nasarawa state, northern Nigeria. 


Her bubbling attitude and high-pitched voice resonate with her passion for the fight to ensure women living with HIV/AIDS lead healthy lives that are void of stigmatization and related challenges. 

She says she is not alone in the quest.

HIV/AIDS in Nasarawa state 
Nasarawa is one of the states with very high HIV prevalence in Nigeria. According to data released by the Nasarawa State AIDS Control Agency (NASACA), HIV prevalence rate in the state as at 2010 was 7.5%, with about 80,000 people currently living with HIV. 

Despite the high rate of infection, the state government in partnership with Institute of Human Virology Nigeria, are taking the lead in ensuring people living with HIV have access to treatment. A major focus has been the creation of Prevention of Mother To Child Transmission of HIV (PMTCT) centres in some hospitals. So far, there are about two hundred and fifty eight (258) PMTCT sites in Nasarawa.

In Nurse Egga’s opinion, when you prevent a mother from transmitting HIV virus to her unborn child, you are preventing the next generation from being infected. So when you are talking about Prevention of Mother To Child Transmission of HIV (PMTCT), it is a serious matter.

Nurse Egga represents the optimism many medical experts and stakeholders have in response to ending AIDS. She believes that it is possible to have a HIV-free generation. But there are still some challenges that need to be tackled.

Here are excerpts from the interview:

On tackling HIV/AIDS through PMTCT intervention

Nurse Egga: When we talk about HIV, it not a strange word anywhere. We know that the virus is fighting and we are also fighting within the medical setting. So when we are talking about prevention, we are talking about preventing the younger generation from being infected. By implication, any woman that steps into the hospital at any point either for antenatal or during an interactive session, we carry out this intervention to prevent the child from being infected.

Testing positive and child bearing

Nurse Egga: For most women that test positive, their responses are positive. But just like any human being, you have positive ones and you have negative ones. For those that respond positively, we normally have good result at the end. What do I mean by good result? It means that after one year and eight months of successful breastfeeding and weaning, we expect to get a negative baby [HIV Negative]. And so far so good, for the period of about 4 years of my being in the clinic, there is no woman that has successfully benefited from this PMTCT services that has come out with any positive baby.

All the positive babies we have had in this facility are from those that refuse to come for their PMTCT services.

Why some don’t women embrace PMTCT

[Stigmatization is still a big issue in Nasarawa state even though earlier this year the anti-stigma bill was passed into law at state level. Another challenge is the lack of support from spouses and family members of women living with HIV. Women who are not economically empowered depend solely on their husband for financial support. Where this support is not available, women are limited in their ability to access medical care as needed. The last but not the least is the challenge of poor counselling. If the women are not properly counselled before and after HIV test, they will not understand the treatment options available to ensure a healthy living.]

Roles of HIV/AIDS support groups

There are support groups available for women living with HIV in Nasarawa. We have the mother-to-mother support group, which is basically for the women alone. Then we have the Godiya support group [open to all]. When you talk about support group, it is not streamlined to PMTCT alone. During support group meetings, we normally talk about prevention so that those husbands that are in the general support group can also get to understand what we mean by prevention.

Challenges that threaten the service

Basically, as the ART nurse, some of the challenges I have encountered are:
  • Poor road network: medical experts find it difficult to access villages due to poor road condition. Clients find it difficult to come to the facility for their treatment.
  • Lack of support from spouse and family: if there is no support the husband may not likely give them [the women] transport to come. Some of the husbands even prevent them from taking the drugs [treatment].
  • Stigmatization: The issue of pointing fingers. Stigmatization has been a very big challenge here. Some women are embarrassed to visit the PMTCT clinic for fear of being stigmatized.
  • Lack of volunteers: When we are talking about prevention in the hospital, prevention at home- we are trying to prevent the next generation from being infected. So if there are volunteers in the community, we will have a wider scope of education. Doctors and nurses cannot leave the facility to carryout awareness campaigns in the villages.
Solutions so far

We have been to the villages even outside our catchment areas to educate people. We even use traditional rulers to tell the communities that by the time you don’t remove this stigma our clients will not come for their treatment. And when they don’t come for their treatment you are rest assured that you will have resistant virus within the community. The danger is that if somebody takes ARVs and does not continue and transmit the resistant virus to another person, then there is going to be trouble.

We also tell the husband that despite the fact that the woman is infected and you are not infected, the child she is carrying has the right to live and therefore we must put our heads together to ensure that we do something positive. As a result of this orientation, some husbands who are HIV negative have changed their attitude. Some even bring their wives to hospital and some collect drugs for them.

On the part of the community, we have not done enough due to financial constraint. Institute of Human Virology, Nigeria (IHVN) is supporting this site very well. But the challenges are numerous. We go for our outreaches once a month, which is not enough. Our home-based care is not effective due to lack of man-power.

Words of Advice

The advice I will give to the stakeholders is that we have gotten support from IHVN. We want the state government to also do something as a matter of charity so that this programme will be effective.

In fighting the virus, nutrition is the backbone… you and I also have a responsibility, charity organizations should also come in.

The Reporter
 
Jennifer Ehidiamen is a 2013 IRP New Media Fellow for International Reporting Project (IRP). She is reporting on issues of global health and development in Nigeria.

7 comments:

  1. According to a report from the official Herpes dating site HSV-dating.com, Over 400 million are afflicted with herpes, HPV, HIV/AIDS or any other STDs in the world. So I think this research and posts are very useful for people living with herpes, HPV, HIV/AIDS or any other STDs. Great thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will thank Mrs Bernelle for letting the world knows the powerful man that help her from AIDS disease. This was what i have all my life been waiting for since i was infected by HIV last 6 months. I always spend money for drugs always but still yet my weight becomes poorer and my joint always getting painful and inching all day. But when i met this comment last 3 days, i quickly contacted Dr ukpoyan the Traditional helper. He is from the western part of Africa, i didn't spend much as i spent for drugs each day, and i for the fact truly reason this because my life was already as take by this disease called AIDs. Truly, when it was 9 o'clock on Monday this week he called me that his oracle urgently required some few life items to enable the disease wipe out successfully, then i was asked to send down 200 usd (). Which i did. He truly bought the items and surprisingly, yesterday afternoon Dr ukpoyan called me that my work has been finally done and it work out well. I was glad and he told me to rush down to my hospital for checkup. Which i really did, my brothers and sisters i went down crying because no one has ever done this to a person in life. Dr ukpoyan truly healed me. I was crying it was a dream to my eyes when the doctor said to me that I am HIV NEGATIVE. I am now a free born in life, am now like other people who now think things like human. For these days and forever, i will accept Dr ukpoyan as my father and my healer and helper. He is a great man. Thank you sir. I know i cant reward you. But my God in heaven can. Thank you sir once again. if you need he help you can contract he on: dr.ukpoyanspellhome@mail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Precious, I am from New York City. I was suffering from HIV disease for over 8 years, I was hopeless until one of my friend directed me to a man called Ehiaghe, she said he cures the sickness and also said he has also helped her friend, I never believed her but after alot of talk, I decided to give him a try, just few days ago I contacted him and he told me what to do which I did and he cast a spell for me and told me to go for a test which I also did and when the result came out I was surprised to see that I am negative. I am proud to tell you that I am the most happiest person on earth. big thanks to Ehiaghe grate spell...... If you have any problem and you need help, You can contact him with his email ehiaghespellhome@gmail.com I pray you find solution in him just as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DR.ORIOMON help me from [HIV]



    BABARAH [USA]



    What ad but today am very happy to give this story to you all, it all happen when I was 23 year well because of this disease I can get married and very happy today am now negative I can get married now to my follow people that is on my shoes this the go great man, a great thanks to DR.ORIOMON the man that bring me out of this sorrow this is the man that can as well help the world, on this diseases I can remember 5 year ago when I was searching for cure, and how I have spent much money and I finally lost hope due to my conduction I have to put my hope on god, lucky to me last week here I was on the internet, check on how many year I can spent on earth them I see a comment about this great man DR.ORIOMON what a lucky day for me and today am giving my testimony about him I have never believe there is cure at all, but this man just want me to give him a try, if he cannot do it I will know his is not DR.ORIOMON that he have been doing this cure for more than many year now I put my hope on him and also my dear good way to say bye to this diseases [HIV] contact this man now dr.oriomonspiritualtemple@yahoo.com

    .
    and i pray that he will help you also. All thanks to DR.ORIOMON, you can contact me on.oriomonspiritualtemple@yahoo.com



    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello let me share this testimony to the world to hear about him too this man really exit I was HIV positive over 9year I have being in medication and I try to look for cure to my problem and I go through internet doctor and I found a tradition doctor named DR.Olamiye I contacted him for help he give me all his laws and rule that if I get cured I should write about him and that is what am doing now, this man ask for some information about me, which I give him this man cure me from HIV what a great man thank for your help when he get the information he told me that he is about to work on it 20 to 30 minute this man email me and told me what to do for the curing which I did after all the things needed for the cure is provide the man call me in 45mins later and tell me to go for test what a great day to me I was negative thanks dr. olamiye you can Dr. olamiye through his email address,olamiyespiritual@outlook.com or call +2348056348159

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello let me share this testimony to the world to hear about him too this man really exit I was HIV positive over 9year I have being in medication and I try to look for cure to my problem and I go through internet doctor and I found a tradition doctor named DR.Olamiye I contacted him for help he give me all his laws and rule that if I get cured I should write about him and that is what am doing now, this man ask for some information about me, which I give him this man cure me from HIV what a great man thank for your help when he get the information he told me that he is about to work on it 20 to 30 minute this man email me and told me what to do for the curing which I did after all the things needed for the cure is provide the man call me in 45mins later and tell me to go for test what a great day to me I was negative thanks dr. olamiye you can Dr. olamiye through his email address,olamiyespiritual@outlook.com or call +2348056348159

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truthfully, i was tested HIV + positive last 3years. I keep on managing the drugs i usually purchase from the health care agency to keep me healthy and strenghtful, i tried all i can too make this disease leave me alone, but unfortunately, it keep on eating up my life, this is what i caused myself, for allowing my fiance have sex with me insecurely without protection, although i never knew he is HIV positive. So last few 4days i came in contact with a lively article on the internet on how this Powerful Herb Healer get her well and healed. So as a patient i knew this will took my life one day, and i need to live with other friends and relatives too. So i copied out the Dr Koboko Yya the traditional healer?s email id: dr.koboko@gmail.com and I mailed him immediately, in a little while he mail me back that i was welcome to his temple home were by all what i seek for are granted. I was please at that time. And i continue with him, he took some few details from me and told me that he shall get back to me as soon as he is through with my work. I was very happy as heard that from him. So Yesterday, as i was just coming from my friends house, Dr koboko Yya called me to go for checkup in the hospital and see his marvelous work that it is now HIV negative, i was very glad to hear that from him, so i quickly rush down to the nearest hospital to found out, only to hear from my hospital doctor called Browning Lewis that i am now HIV NEGATIVE. I jump up at him with the test note, he ask me how does it happen and i recede to him all i went through with Dr Koboko Yya I am now glad, so i am a gentle type of person that need to share this testimonies to everyone who seek for healing, because once you get calm and quiet, so the disease get to finish your life off. So i will advice you contact him today for your healing at the above details: Email ID: dr.koboko@gmail.com CONTACT HIM NOW TO SAVE YOUR LIFE: dr.koboko@gmail.com AS HE IS SO POWERFUL AND HELPFUL TO ALL THAT HAVE THIS SICKNESS? www.http://drkobokospellcaster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete