Angelina Jolie Loses Both Breasts To Cancer Prevention Surgery

Popular multi-award winning Hollywood actress, Angelina Jolie, has revealed that she has undergone surgery to remove both breasts (double mastectomy) to minimize her 90 per cent of suffering from breast cancer.

The actress revealed this in an article she wrote for New Times
entitled "My Health Decision"

She said she has a family history of breast cancer and had undergone genetic testing which showed she had about 90 per cent of developing breast cancer.

Jolie wrote: "My mother fought cancer for almost a decade and died at 56. She held out long enough to meet the first of her grandchildren  and to hold them in her arms. But my other children will never have the chance to know her and experience how loving and gracious she was.

"We often speak of "Mommy's mommy," and I find myself trying to explain the illness that took her away from us. They have asked if the same could happen to me. I have always told them not to worry, but the
truth is I carry a "faulty" gene, BRCA1, which sharply increases my risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer."

Defects in the BRCA1 gene significantly increase the risk to developing cancer including Nigerian women. in a research work carried out in 2012, Oluwagbemiga and colleagues stressed the need to carry out more elaborate research in Nigeria and other African countries to give a more vivid picture of the distribution of the gene defects in Nigeria as a way of helping Nigerian women in ensuring early diagnosis and better patient management.

0 comments:

Post a Comment